Translate

Saturday, October 10, 2009

From the Pan to the Fire

Massive Worship is a ministry focused toward those already involved in the Church, but to fulfill our Christian call to make disciples of all nations the band has committed to doing one outreach event a week. Our first step into the "real world" was an open mic night at a radio-sponsored club, dubbed "The Electric Frying Pan." This is an event where full bands and soloists could gather to show off their talent.

After we arrived and signed up, we didn't really know what to do with ourselves as we waited to go onstage. But then by the grace of God, a guy named Clinton came over to our table and started talking to us. He was in the band that would play after us, but we talked about much more than music. He professed to be a Christian by faith, but not to be a part of any religious tradition or community. He was the everyman or our generation: Crude, yet harmless; opinionated, but pleasant; believing in God, but not living in God. We talked with him and his band mate Chris for the whole time we were in the club. The five of us in the band ended up rotating between evangelizing to Clinton and Chris, and talking with our Catholic friends who came out to see us play.

When the time did come to play our set, it was awesome. We played the two heaviest, most rockin' songs we'd ever practiced, and a medium one in between. after our set we told the crowd we were a Catholic ministry band. The manager asked us to play a fourth song at the end of our set, which felt good.

As I think about that night and I realize that there was more going on than just our performance. My view of fellowship deepened that night. I know community is part of God's plan for his people, but that fact stood out me in a new light. Clinton was astounded at the sacrifices we said we've made for the sake of Christ. It was not our desire to give up worldly values, but our ability to succeed, that shocked him. I know every struggle that I've overcome has been because of God's grace, but I always had people telling me to run to God's grace at the difficult times . At the Electric Frying Pan, I saw what happens when a Christian tries by himself: He gives up by himself. I know the Holy Spirit was there with us, moving, shaking, softening hearts. And I hope that all those we spoke to, through words, song, and action, accept the new heart God is trying to give them.

God Bless,

Sean Flynn
Massive Worship Band

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I am sharing this blogg with our congregation, Go Massive Worship Team!!

    ReplyDelete