Translate

Friday, March 5, 2010

Busy and Loving Ministry

Hello, it’s Shayla from team five. This week has been really fun, and also touching. Many things have happened in ministry this week that make me proud to be on NET doing God’s work.

Thursday night was Edge. The night was on the family, and respecting authority and people in general. The night was full of fun from playing some games, and we also did the Vaseline skit. The teens found it hilarious! I must say, our team did a very good job with that skit. Even though we had a lot of fun that night, there was also a great reflection time. The teens were given time to reflect on their relationships with their parents, and with their authority figures in life. After that, they had the opportunity to write a letter to that person either asking for forgiveness, or just to thank them for all they’ve done. Normally it’s hard to get a bunch of young people to take moments like this seriously, but all the young teens were laying on the gym floor and writing away with the pens and paper we gave them. It was a beautiful sight to see. Not because they were writing letters, but because they looked sincere with what they were writing, and putting in an effort. It’s always so beautiful to see the Holy Spirit working through the teens.

On Sunday, the Lifenight was on the sacraments of initiation. We started with a wicked game; basically it was an obstacle-type of course and it was hilarious to watch everyone running around. What they had to do was run around in a circle five times with a ruler on your forehead, then put on a costume provided for every team, then use the ruler to play golf with an egg, then walk with a cup of water on their head. Finally they had to eat a biscuit and drink a cup of iced tea with elegance/manners. I didn’t have any major role in this lifenight, but I did get to have a small group. It was awesome because this is the first time that I really felt that the teens wanted to know more about their faith. I was getting really deep questions. So, I was pretty excited that they were really trying to understand their faith. (The top right picture is of some of our teens during the game, eating their biscuits and drinking their iced tea)

For our team day, we began by listening to an talk on attitude. That was an amazing talk. I was able to learn a lot while not getting bored out of my mind, and I was laughing practically the whole time. After that, as a team we decided to play King Sardine. Danica was the first to hide. I was so happy that I found her first because there was a hiding spot that I’ve been wanting to try out. So, when it came time for me to hide, I went into these cupboards by the girl’s washroom on the main floor by our team’s office. Was I ever cramped! It was worth it though because it took forever for everyone to find me. James found me after a few minutes, but I was literally in there for almost 15 minutes. We had a great time.

On Saturday, we (the girls) honoured the men. We set up the backyard of one of our host homes as a battlefield for a snow fight. There was a fort on either side, and the boundaries were marked off with coloured water. We also planned dinner for the boys. While I was cooking the chicken stir-fry, the rest of the girls went and ‘kidnapped’ the men. They blind-folded them and drove around town to confuse the men as to where they were going. When they got there, we took them to the backyard where we took off their blind-folds and hit them with snowballs. I must say, for James and Tom against four girls, they did pretty well in the snow fight. It was a great night. We had lots of fun and laughs. One thing to be remembered was that we watched the gold medal curling game for the men. WOOT! Go Canada!
That’s pretty much the update for Team Five-Alive. We pray that you al have a blessed week.

God Bless,
Shayla Doucette (and the rest of the team)

No comments:

Post a Comment