Translate

Thursday, October 23, 2014

The Sunrise is Hidden Behind Clouds for Now, but it’s Still Beautiful




It’s 6:45am and the dawn is greying. Our War Monument guard killed yesterday will not see this sunrise; neither will the gunman. Through the Mercy of God, rest in peace. Likely you remember where you were when you heard about the shootings; I was at an accounting seminar at the Ottawa Golf Course, 12km from Parliament. 

 We often remember such moments of tragedy. During 9/11, I was a young missionary at NET training. Between then and now, I’ve experienced death, both as a citizen watching major events unfold and beside a loved-one’s sickbed. Death is harrowing and profound, but I remember a prayer card at a host-home on my NET year that read, “Death is letting the candle blow out because the dawn has come.” The dawn outside is pale orange now and life is stirring outside.

 What would you consider the liveliest example of life? I think of a playground. A few weeks ago, I visited a NET team giving their first practice retreat at a school. It was the first retreat I’ve experienced since I was on NET 11 years ago. Such HOPE! From the playground to the NET prayer time; it was all throbbing with LIFE! My 18-month old just toddled into the attic where I’m writing – such LIFE! On that retreat, I “teared up” more than once (like many retreatants I might add), especially during the prayer time and hearing them all sing “may these ‘hallelujahs’ be multiplied.”
 The soldier and gunman were both once children on a playground. What went wrong? I don’t know. But our Lord said, “Without Me, you can do NOTHING.” Without God’s grace and blessing, no law, gun registry, protest, educational campaign or air strike will solve the world’s problems. Please pray. Pray for the deceased, their families, our Canadian leaders, military, and emergency workers…and pray that God’s kingdom come. Pray that His will be done in your life today, since you too are a missionary.

Robin Daniels, CA ~ Director of Finance, NET Canada





P.S. The sunrise is hidden behind clouds for now, but it’s still beautiful.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful reflection Robin! It is a great reminder for all of us. May God continue Bless all our missionaries and the lives they touch! Your friends in Christ, Sacred Heart Parish, LaSalle, Ontario.

    ReplyDelete