Translate

Friday, October 24, 2014

Presence


Here I am

These are three of the most perfect words that one can say to God. This phrase was spoken by Our Lady in the film ‘Mary of Nazareth’, which my team and I went to see recently at the cinema in Kamloops, BC. The moment that “Here I am” was spoken, I was intrigued by the words. It was so simple, yet so profound. How could just being present, just being open, be so deep and so striking?

In the same way the presence of God, presented by those who strive to know Him, can be deep and striking. At the end of a recent two-day retreat, our team noted that the grade ten youth we had been spending time with were remarkably open to us, but more importantly, to God. We put up an open mic and allowed the youth to come up and share with their classmates about how they had been inspired during the two days. The last girl to come up shared something beautiful: “You guys showed us what I had been praying my peers would get to see. I hope you realize how powerful you are.”

NET tries to reflect God in everything it is, and our ministry is a ministry of presence. By merely being present, by encouraging the youth to be open to Christ, we reflect the part of God which is always present to them, always longing to draw His children closer to Himself. And that in itself is powerful enough to change hearts, move mountains (yes, even big BC mountains), and bring a beautiful light into what was once the darkness of being alone. Just by saying, “Here I am,” to youth, I have seen them dare to uncover their brokenness and become present to God, just the way they are, and know that He loves them just the same.

Just by simply saying, “Here I am,” and then pointing them to the cross and saying, “There He is,” I have seen hearts change in the light of His love. And THAT is powerful.

Peace and Love,
Samantha Wigglesworth ~ Encounter Team 2

1 comment:

  1. Through God, all things are possible!!! Just set the stage and He does the rest! We're so proud of you all! Sending love from your friends and family at St Joe's, St. John the Baptist, and Sacred Heart in southwest Ontario!

    ReplyDelete