Translate

Monday, January 16, 2012

Mom, I'm going to Prison...







Heeeeey Everyone,


So, this week in the Peterborough diocese has been very eventful! We had retreats everyday this week, except one of our retreats got cancelled due to a snow day, so the priest at the parish we were at decided to take our team out for lunch instead! We went to Wild Wing, and had lots of laughs.



Now, on a more serious note, our team was given the opportunity to do some prison ministry this past weekend. It was an optional event, but our entire team was very enthusiastic about going. Driving up to the correctional facility was pretty intimidating, all the buildings was surrournded by fences topped with barbed wire, and servalence cameras surrounded the compound. We went through security, then headed to the chapel. We lead a praise and worship session, Tyler shared a personal faith story and we did a drama for them. Later on Christie walked us through the passion of Christ in detail, it was an intense talk, but everyone felt moved by it. There were tears in the eyes of many.


Throughout the day we had many opportunities just to talk to the men there, although I knew they had committed shameful crimes, none of that seemed to matter. Some of the men couldn't thank us enough for coming, but we were the ones who felt blessed to be there. The men were so open with us, and they felt so loved that we cared enough to listen. I can honestly say that going to the prison was one of my favorite encounter days on NET so far. I couldn't stop smiling the entire time I was there.




Here is what Mary had to say about her experience: "I left the prison feeling as though I'd encountered Christ in the most unlikely place and didn't know how to resolve the conflicting feelings in my heart. These men are just regular people. Sure some of them have very visible psychological issues but many of them don't. Many of them are fun to hang out with and when you look at them you see your brother or someone you might run into at a church event back home. The human spirit is an amazing thing that truly does image God. One cannot help but marvel at the fact that these men could undergo such tragedy and commit such crimes and yet when you look at them you can still see that image of God. My stomach still gets in knots when I think about yesterday and I think it will take time for me to unpack everything but I do know that God was there yesterday. No talent of ours or effort accomplished anything in an of itself but He did. I'm not naive enough to suppose that our one little retreat will do anything in the big scheme of things but if God wills it He can. "




On a lighter note, for our team day we went to the zoo! The guys found epic looking rocks, so it was the perfect opportunity for a photo shoot! Yeah, they are pretty cool.


Anyways, that's all for now!


God bless!


-Silken Neutelings

Encouter Team #1

No comments:

Post a Comment