Translate

Monday, March 4, 2013

Purity.

Yesterday, our team had a retreat in Toronto. I had a small group of twelve Gr. 11 ladies. I loved this small group so much because they were all open to the concept of God, but since no one in their lives had ever provided answers to their (very good) questions, they didn't feel that they had any evidence to base their faith upon. I LOVE IT WHEN PEOPLE QUESTION THINGS! (Because that means they find answers). Luckily, I had the privilege of answering some of their questions.

There was one girl who was especially curious. She began asking about everything from ouija boards to angels to creation to atheists. At lunchtime, she continued pelting me with questions. She ended up asking me about purity and why we can't have sex before marriage. She told me she was debating sleeping with her boyfriend who was a few years older than her. I gave her Jesus' reasons, and asked her why she wanted to do it in the first place. She said she was afraid of losing him if she didn't. After our chat, she said "well, that's something to think about."

During the prayer time, she grabbed the Youcat, and was reading the purity section. She beckoned me over again, and just kept saying she just didn't understand: if she loves him, then why not? So I asked her, "What even is love? Love is doing what is best for the other: love is sacrifice...I mean, look at the cross. THAT'S love." I told her that God doesn't place these boundaries to trap us and keep us from love - God is love. He's your Father and wants to protect you from being hurt and broken. After this, she looked at me for a moment and eventually said, "I guess you're right." She left the retreat that day with much to think about: answers to some questions, the uncertain future of her relationship, the value of purity, and a church bulletin that she requested, containing all mass and confession times.

I don't know where this girl is going to go or what she is going to do, but I pray that God will protect her purity and answer her questions. She is one of the countless daughters of God I meet everyday; so, as her sister in Christ, I beg you to pray for her as well, for she is your sister too. Even if you don't know her name, The Lord does.

Rianne Rops,
Encounter Team 2

No comments:

Post a Comment