Translate

Saturday, February 12, 2011

UNO, Giant Dutch Blitz, and Secret Santas

Another week of fun, games and ministry here in Steinbach has gone by.

Family Fun Day this month has to be my favourite one so far! We rented the outdoor rink and invited parishioners out for a family fun skate. I am not sure how many we had come out, but it was a lot! Although we had booked the ice for our event we allowed anyone who happened to drop by to join us, which really added to our numbers. A few of the guys brought hockey sticks with them and Andrew and Brenden stayed behind for an impromptu game. What I neglected to mention in my last blog, in which I mentioned how the team had gone skating, I have only gone skating about half a dozen times in my life. I was a little nervous at first about the day, especially since there are so many figure skaters and hockey players in the community, but the environment was so welcoming that my worries disappeared almost immediately. I even did a lot better than I thought I did. I also learned how to skate backwards!

AND SO EXCITING!!! We had our first LifeLine! LifeLine is our high school youth group which alternates Sundays with our REACT night. The night, entitled “Ready, Set…” was a night of games and simply getting to know each other. We started the night off with singing the song “I Am Free” and it was great to hear the teens singing loud and proud together. Giant Dutch Blitz also made an appearance during the night and was a success yet again. We made it a little more challenging by having only three people on each team. I know my muscles were sore the next day! But it was well worth it.

The past couple of team days have been wonderful. During the one we discovered that UNO can be a rather stressful game all round. The other team day saw us finally doing our Secret Santa gift exchange which ended up being filled with duct tape, toilet paper, laughs, and a touch of mystery (especially for me as I was the only one who didn’t figure out who got my name!)

Our faith study “Discovery” has started off really well with five people coming out each week to learn more about God’s love, his sacrifice and our faith. Each week I am amazed by the insight and openness of those participating. God is truly working in these young adults and I am excited to see where this faith study takes us in the end.

That is all for now. Stay tuned for more from Steinbach, and remember to keep us and our ministry in your prayers.

God bless,
Elizabeth Fitzmaurice

No comments:

Post a Comment