Translate

Friday, September 18, 2009

Massive Worship's First Gig!




Hello everyone, my name is Sean Flynn (second from the left,) and I am a NET Canada alumni from Arizona. I now work with Massive Worship band. Well, as long as you consider drummers musicians, that is. Our Massive Worship Band played publicly for the first time last Sunday at Divine Infant Catholic Church in Ottawa. For Mass and Eucharistic Adoration we led the people in about 15 songs, including the old favorite "Here I am, Lord" and new classics like "Your Grace is Enough."


We were advised that the church produces a serious echo, so using the full drum kit would have been an acoustic nightmare. Instead, I chose to play percussion with a combination of a snare drum, using brushes that produce a softer sound than regular sticks, and a djembe, an African-style drum played with the hands. I never practiced with that set-up before, so I let the Holy Spirit move me, just improvising while praying along with the congregation the whole night.

It went better than I could have imagined. The sound blended better than I expected, nothing echoed out of control, and the younger people in the Church really liked the sound of it. One young man active in the parish youth ministry came up to me after the prayer with a huge smile saying, "SNARE DRUM! AWESOME!" and gave me a high-five. An older woman we'd never met also came up to us as we were cleaning up, to thank us all with a big hug. That night definitely taught me not to be afraid of being unprepared when it comes to prayer, because God is always there, and he has a plan for each person's prayer experience. So I challenge all of you in turn to be open to the holy spirit especially when your leading whorship, you never know what the Lord has planned when you do.


God Bless

Sean Flynn
Massive Worship Band

No comments:

Post a Comment